With the “Create a site” action you can create SharePoint sites from within SharePoint Designer workflows.
The action is included in my SharePoint Designer Actions 1.0 release on CodePlex. Source code is available.
- URL: The site relative url of the new site e.g. current site: http://localhost/websites/parent, URL: ”Child1” = http://localhost/websites/parent/Child1
- Title: Title of the new site
- Description: Description of the new site
- Template: The filename of the template to use e.g. “MyTemplate.stp”
- Inherit Permissions: Inherit the permission from parent site (yes/no)
- Result: The absolute Url of the new site e.g. http://localhost/websites/parent/Child1
Note: The activity creates the site while execution. From a WF design point of view, it would be preferable to do heavy work in a Work Batch. Maybe I show this in another post…